Benefits of Videofied
With more than 1,000,000 installations in over 60 countries around the globe, Videofied is quickly being recognized for the advantages it brings to entire communities.
Benefits for Municipalities
For many cities with budgets already strained by police responding to tens of thousands of false alarms every year*, Videofied alarms represent an opportunity to economize response resources and enhance public safety by dispatching police to verified crimes-in-progress.
Confronted with continuing false alarm issues, many cities across the US have moved to alarm ordinances that provision higher priority police response for alarms that can be remotely verified with video (what the Videofied system accomplishes). The following are a couple language examples of alarm ordinances pertaining to verified alarms and police response:
- Los Angeles, CA: "A verified burglar alarm shall be dispatched as a high priority call. Officers shall be provided information on how the activation was verified." (PDF)
- Detroit, MI: "A verified response means that an alarm company verifies that an alarm is one of the 2% of true alarms, before contacting DPD. Once the alarm company verifies the alarm, DPD will dispatch officers to the location." (PDF)
- Grand Prairie, TX: "...responses to video alarms will be given a higher priority as these new alarm systems utilize technology to increase efficiency of available resources." (PDF)
- Washoe County, NV: "Burglary Alarm Crime in Progress means a burglar Alarm Dispatch Request reported by a Monitoring Company that indicates a crime is in progress based upon an audio, video or similar verification device installed at the Alarm Site." (PDF)
- Akron, OH: "Intrusion alarms will have to be verified before officers will be dispatched." (PDF)
* 1. Wichita, KS: 18,461 alarm calls in 2013, 96.4% (17,802) of which were false (Source); 2. Cleveland, OH: 23,289 false alarms in 2013, 98% of all alarm calls, costing taxpayers about $750,000 (Source); 3. San Jose, CA: In 2010, over 98% of alarms were false, costing the city $662,000 (Source)
Benefits for Property Owners
The benefits of Videofied for commercial and residential customers begin at installation; wireless installs are fast and cost effective. As an upgrade to existing burglar alarms, Videofied smoothly integrates to the current burglar alarm to enhance an existing system with video for faster police response. For new installs, Videofied offers a complete standalone system with keypads, sirens, door contacts and other peripherals. Wireless installation, cost effective, faster police.
- Wireless Videofied sensors can be installed wherever sensors/cameras are needed.
- Video verification of a burglary means faster police response to a crime.
- The sooner law enforcement arrives on scene, the less time intruders have to inflict injury, steal or damage property.
- Faster response times lead to more arrests and lower insurance claims.
- No wires to cut. Reliable wireless performance means that even if the MotionViewer is removed by an intruder, it can continue transmitting video for police response. See Example 1 and Example 2.
Benefits for the Insurance Industry
As burglar alarm systems grew in popularity, the growing number of false alarms diminished their effectiveness and demoralized responding officers. Alarm response became low priority. Video alarms, combined with prioritized police dispatch policies, deliver faster response because they are treated as crimes-in-progress. Faster response means more arrests, reducing claims for the insurance industry:
- When Videofied alarms lead to arrests, insurers save on direct claims and processing costs.
- Videofied alarms play a significant role in fighting and reducing property crime – not just deterring it. One arrest prevents 30 additional burglaries.
- Videofied alarms are raising performance standards for the entire security industry.
- Crimes such as copper theft leave insurers with claims that are greater than the value of the stolen property, due to associated property damages. Videofied's role in stopping copper theft has a huge impact on lowering claims.
Benefits for Law Enforcement
Video-verified alarms provide immediate and actionable information for greater situational awareness, officer safety and more arrests. The monitoring station operator is a virtual eyewitness to the event. As a result, Videofied is the only security system ever endorsed by any national law enforcement association (See Announcement PDF), for reasons that include:
- Better use of department resources by preventing dispatches to false alarms.
- Greater safety for the responding officer aware that an actual intruder is present.
- More effective dispatch policies prioritize crimes-in-progress over standard (non-verified) burglar alarms
- Higher arrest rates mean a safer community and lower crime rates.
Benefits for Alarm Dealers
Serving as the link between protected property and police response, Videofied alarm dealers can enhance existing burglar alarms for faster police response with a simple “upgrade kit” attached to the existing alarm panel. Videofied can also be installed as a “stand alone” alarm system with its own keypad, siren, contacts, and other peripherals. Dealers offering Videofied future-proof their customers for priority response and greater security.
- Videofied easily integrates with existing systems as a video-verified upgrade.
- For the price of a wireless PIR detector, security dealers can offer an interactive video alarm system with smartphone look-in capabilities.
- Videofied creates an opportunity for incremental RMR with monitored, video-verified alarms and enhanced services on an existing alarm system.
- Videofied is an international industry leader in video verification for both indoor and outdoor applications.